Looking Towards the Future.
We've been celebrating for over 175 Years!
Committed to connecting all generations from every walk of life.
We look forward to you being a special part of Our Story!
Adamson Bentley preached the first Gospel message in Painesville in 1828. His ministry through Painesville and surrounding communities led to many people turning toward Jesus and looking to plant churches for continued fellowship and growth. On this conviction, a group of thirty-six members birthed our church in 1843. The congregation adopted the practices of the Restoration Movement, a brotherhood of independent churches upholding the values, practices, and polity of New Testament Christianity.
The congregation first met in a school house until finally constructing a building in the square of Painesville in 1887. Years of growth and prosperity forced multiple revisions of the building over a period of four decades, leading to and through the years of the Great Depression. The church’s fervor for evangelism continued, resulting in continued growth and prosperity. In 1967, the congregation purchased land adjacent Lake Erie College and in 1973, a new building was dedicated.
First Church of Christ still holds its passion for sharing Christ’s message of hope to the community. With a strong vision to reach the community of Painesville and Lake County, our congregation is engaged and invested to continue the strong heritage of ministry and vision set in place nearly two centuries ago. Together, we eagerly desire to faithfully execute the call of Christ in Painesville for another 177 years and beyond!